Optimising your distribution structure is crucial for business growth and success in the fast-paced world of commerce. One often overlooked aspect that can significantly impact your operations is warehousing. In this article, we’ll explore why you should consider warehousing an integral part of your distribution strategy and how it can benefit your business.
The Role of Warehousing in the Supply Chain
Warehousing plays a pivotal role in the supply chain, serving as a cornerstone of efficient logistics. It offers a secure and organised storage solution for your inventory, ensuring that products are readily available when needed. This seemingly simple function is, in fact, a linchpin in the distribution network.
Warehouses are strategically located to provide access to major trade routes, allowing businesses to ship products and materials anywhere in the world. This accessibility is crucial for streamlined distribution and timely deliveries.
Benefits of Outsourcing Warehousing
For many businesses, in-house order fulfilment and storage may not be viable options for various reasons. Outsourcing to a third-party warehousing and distribution partner can be a game-changer. Here are some compelling benefits:
- Managing High-Volume Orders: Dealing with a surge in orders can be challenging and lead to errors. Distribution services have expert teams equipped to handle large order volumes efficiently, ensuring prompt and accurate deliveries.
- Increasing Sales: Swift and reliable shipping can significantly boost sales by enhancing customer satisfaction. It also allows your business to scale up during peak seasons and scale down during quieter periods, saving costs and maintaining flexibility.
- Resilient Supply Chains: Logistics services utilise standard operating procedures (SOPs), technology, and automation to reduce mistakes and address issues swiftly, instilling confidence in customers.
- Infrastructural Support: Warehousing partners provide essential infrastructure, including suitable storage space, equipment, packing supplies, inventory management tools, and real-time tracking capabilities. This eliminates the need for costly investments and saves time.
When to Consider a Warehousing Partner
Now that you recognise the importance of warehousing and distribution services, you may wonder when it’s the right time for your business to invest in commercial warehousing. Here are some indicators:
- Business Growth: As your business expands, in-house storage and distribution can become limiting. Consider outsourcing when your order volume increases significantly.
- International Shipping: If you’re looking to ship internationally, outsourcing to a distribution partner experienced in global logistics can simplify the process and reduce costs.
- Slow Shipping: Delayed orders can lead to customer dissatisfaction. If your current shipping process is not meeting customer expectations, it’s time to explore distribution services.
- Supply Chain Optimisation: Warehouses can help streamline your supply chain by automating order fulfilment and providing real-time inventory tracking, reducing errors and improving customer satisfaction.
Secure Warehousing for Peace of Mind
Commercial warehouses are designed with security in mind, featuring 24/7 CCTV, secure fencing, inventory checks, and onsite security personnel. When selecting a warehousing provider, be sure to inquire about their security measures.
At Global Warehousing & Storage (GWS), we go the extra mile to protect your goods with a state-of-the-art fire detection system and a cloud-based warehouse management system for real-time stock control. In 2022, GWS achieved a 0% loss record while distributing over 100,000 pallets across the UK.
Choose the right warehousing and distribution service that effectively communicates, supports, and handles your products. GWS offers secure warehouse storage with expert product handling and convenient transportation access. Contact our experienced team today to explore how GWS can elevate your distribution strategy.